Sunday, June 7, 2009

Happy Birthday, Faizal!



A couple months ago, Faizal lent me this book, which he mistook it as “must read” and “classic”. Even though, my guts feeling extremely doubt any remote possibility of either of those strong words, I decided to accept the challenge and read the book anyway.

And boy! What a laborious two months of eye rolling it was.

It’s about Samantha, a London lawyer, who left her high-powered career to become a housekeeper in a remote countryside; only to find out later, she was used as a bait in one of the UK's biggest corporate scandals......and (gasp!) fall in love in the process.
Woa! Seriously, Oh Come On!

A lawyer with an IQ of 158, who accidently becomes a housekeeper, solves the mystery of her sudden termination of service and saves her old office GBP50 million AND along the way, wins the heart of a hunky gardener?!? Man, you have got to be kidding me!

Honestly, I think the book is trying too hard to be popular among its readers, it ends up being somewhat contrived and predictable; attempting the usual feel good chick flick and finally ended up somewhat middle-of-the-road.

The author not only seems to enjoy murdering precious old-school romance, but also seems to relish jumping up and down on their corpses. How else can you explain the way the central male character/hunky love interest behaves in it, which speaks and acts in such a fabulously affected manner that it would set off the gaydar of a coma patient? Erkk...

O Gosh! And that loads of moony-eyed swooning in between makes me want to punch someone in the mouth too.



Fortunately, today is Faizal’s Birthday and I don’t think it would be wise for me to go on and on into details for all the reasons why I am not a fan of the book so much. (Though by now, I get an eerie feeling there’s already a little voodoo doll of me in his desk, impaled by drawing pins)

So I think I just stop this madness and leap to my feet and cry out;

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FAIZAL!!!I WISH YOU FABULOUS YEARS AHEAD AND MANY MANY MANY HAPPY RETURNS.


And since I have already had this nagging suspicion abbout his weird taste in modern literature, this year, O yes, I know exactly what to get him– two really good books (with cover of a man holding a gun on it).



Now, where do I put that 'Sex In The City' book of mine?

4 comments:

Life's Like That said...

heh - Happy Bird-Day, Faisal - who-ever-u-may-be. hehehe

Hafez Zahruddin said...

The Undomestic Goddess rocked my day years ago. At that time, I feel like it was the best book ever. But now, I feel like I'm being cheated with all the over the top optimism of the writer. Anyway, she wanted the book to sell, so I guess it was her own right to concoct the formula even if it is super cheesy.
I think Sophie Kinsella should only stick with Shopaholic series because her over the top cliched desciptions in the novel suit the characteristic of Beckie.

hurul said...

hee... mus.. really like your comments.. yeap.. the story is too what-on-earth ek?

looka80 said...

mus - how was the birthday bash??