Monday, March 17, 2008

Adulation of Nation

Season 7 of American Idol is currently underway, and I bet we are all over the place on who we think will win the crown this year.

Many of our older friends are drooling over Michael Johns, while most of our teen girl friends are going Ga-Ga over David Archuleta. Other friends are rocking over David Cook, swooning over Jason Castro, and giving luck-of-the-Irish toasts to Carly Smithson. And then there are those of us who want Amanda Overmyer gone. Immediately. Like right this very instant.

As for me, this year's crop of talent probably the best since the introduction of this much-hyped reality program cum talent searching cum nationwide singing competition 6 years ago. No doubt about it. (Some of them are pretty good!)

But (O here we go again!) truth to be told, unfortunately none of them catches my fancy (not that it really matters). They lack, to my humble opinion, an aura or a quality of an overall great entertainer. So what really is an Idol?

Here's my take on ,I think, what really separates a true blue Idol from a bunch of mere wannabes.

1. Good look - What more can I say, good look sells. People don't spend thousand of ringgit to hear them singing 'in tune' only. I don't say it's necessary fair, but do you really think somewhere, someone will offer Melinda Dolittle a much revered Sport Illlustrated cover? Not in my time, dude. Well, maybe Sanjaya.

2. Awesome moves - For a good sizeable tv appeal, you must be able to grab the audience by the balls, do everything within reasons to sell the song. Jumping around like drunken men included - if you must. No dancing lesson required. People just want to be entertained. Well, at least it worked with 'Raja Lawak', don't you think?

3. Great set of pipes - Ain't this supposed to be singing competition, first and foremost? So what am I missing here?

4. X factor/Uniqueness/Likeability - Salt and pepper hair, Mohawk hairdo, singing while lying down. You take a pick. Standing out in the crown is not an option here and humility is the way to go.

And who do I think really fits the bill? (Some of them are pretty obvious, *wink wink*). So Here's my top 5 most favorite, best Idol..ever! (David A, take cue!)

1. Taylor Hicks from AI Season 5
2. Fantasia Barrino from AI Season 3
3. Jasmine Trias from AI Season 3
4. Matt Roger from AI Season3
5. Jaclyn Victor from MI Season 1

When the chips are down, my best bet for this year's winner is David Archuleta or maybe even David Cook. I think. I don't know.

Anyway, I wish them all the best. Aren't they all living up my dream. Now that's really depressing. Aaahhh..



WARNING: Viewing pictures of Taylor Hicks performing on stage has been known to cause otherwise sane women/and some men to go completely bonkers and *thud* where they sit or stand. Please view these pictures responsibly by making sure there are no sharp objects within fainting range and that the floor around you has been sufficiently padded.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hafez Zahruddin said...

Woi, tak gheti dak update ke, montel?