Monday, July 20, 2009

The Renaissance Man

Something terrible happened to me last Friday afternoon, so terrible it gave me nightmare for days. I thought I was losing it. No, no I won’t tell you what happened. I won’t give you the excruciating details here - at least not here. I believe sometimes, something best not discussed or talked about out in the open, because it would bring no one any good, other than just pain and confusion.

And you know what, in fact, I really don’t know what happened. I’ll probably spend a good portion of the rest of my days wondering how I went from, “I am so awesome and nothing could go wrong!”, to “Everything I do sucks!”.

But I guess that’s good, because now I am starting a new life philosophy. Instead of getting bogged down in the soul-numbing sadness of the situation, I’ve determined that I will take time to do all the things necessary to vastly improve my life.

Starting today, I’ll work out every morning, read classic literature before I go to sleep, organize all my CDs, sign up for karate class, donate time to charity and just generally become the Renaissance man I’ve always known I was deep inside.

Damn!

Forty eight hours later, I realized that I was once again experiencing the state of confusion that always comes over me when something inevitably goes awry in my life. You’d think I’d known how to handle it by now. It’s been the same story for most of my thirty years.

Man, this is much harder than I thought I could ever handle. Tomorrow I am going to face all my colleagues and probably force to spend the rest of my Monday morning re-telling of what actually had happened.

I know I’ve never been fond of Mondays, but tomorrow would be even more so.

No comments: