Friday, February 26, 2010

How Would You Dress If You Had A Choice?

It hasn't been my week. No, that's understatement, I was devastated. I never thought I'd see this coming, not in a million years. They asked us to conform, to bow upon oppression, to follow. To wear the new corporate uniform, every single day of the week!

I am a unique, independent individual. I have a much classy-er, better fashion sense than anyone in PR. I am against oppression and I am launching a campaign to end them forever. (I'm a dreamer, what can I say?) Below is my list for reasons;

1) In actuality uniforms are a nuisance and a destructively inappropriate way of robbing us of our individuality and taking away our basic rights: freedom of expression.

2) I was once mistaken with a movie character just because of the old corporate uniform. Someone blatantly asked me, "Are you a 'Na'vi'? 'Cause you're wearing almost all blue." I have never been asked this before, and I was shocked. I don't want to be confused with that tree-hugging,10ft alien from Avatar anymore.

3) I know a staff, we will just call him Mr. M, who dressed in drag to work just to rebel against the uniform. We can't have that, can we?

4) We work hard for our money, so shouldn't we be able to spend it on something that will please us, bring us joy, and a sense of accomplishment? With a uniform we think things like, "I saved up and Now I have to buy this stupid, tacky, Navy blue shirt. Yuk!"

5) Some people think that uniforms give us more corporate pride. Yeah right! Haven't they heard, corporate song? tie? mug? corporate household products?

6) Uniforms bring people together? Okay, whatever. Clothing does not separate us. In fact, it has absolutely nothing to do with clothing styles. Flame me if you want, but I think that we would become closer if we were allowed free dress. Unity through a uniform? Please.

7) Let's face it...we all look like dorks. Don't you think that a good working enviornment is one in which we feel good about ourselves and the way we are dressed?

8) Two words-Dry Cleaning!

9) How one dresses is a representation of who that person is. On the other hand, a uniform is a uniform. A dull, stale, boring, crusty old uniform. How would you dress if you had a choice?

No comments: