Monday, September 6, 2010

Secrets And Lies

It’s a predicament I have to deal with every year – ‘to celebrate or not to celebrate?’, 'to blow or to pass?’, 'to lie or not to tell the truth?’ A part of me relishes the idea of balloons-presents-cakes-and-clowns combo but at the same time it’s also a cruel reminder on how close I am to senility.

Oh yeah, last Friday was my big day, it was my birthday, my so called anniversary. No, No, don’t ask me, “Yang ke berapa?” I won’t respond to that. It wasn’t even on the cake. I almost ripped the salesgirl’s face at the bakery for asking, “nak berapa lilin, bang? Yang besar nak 7 ke 8?” I just wasn’t in the mood for bad, tasteless joke.

You see, all I wanted for my birthday this year is solitude - a little peace and quiet from numbly, obnoxious questions like, “So how old are you now?”, "Why aren’t you getting married already?” but not getting questions like that in this special day is akin to avoiding bullets in Operation Desert Storm, it’s a losing battle. So at the end, I decided to play along and lie!

“I am embracing my life, as well as my increasing age.” (Lie!)

“I am actually one of those people that actually enjoy getting older.” (More lies!)

“I am 27.” (LIE! LIE! LIE!)

Yikes. I know that’s sick. But the fun thing is people tend (or pretend) to buy that. They usually go, ‘Wow, really? You don’t look a day older than 25. What’s your secret?’

"Well, unless if you live in space - in absence of the gravity or rather the pull of the gravity, you don’t sag - not taking things too seriously and having a good laugh once in a while, will definitely do the trick.”

And that’s exactly how I spent my birthday – having a good fun laugh. I watched Emmy winning new comedy show, Modern Family marathon on Astro and it was a HILARIOUS. And I'm talking the uninhibited, laugh-out-loud, knee-slapping, eyes-watering, till-my-side-hurt kinda hilarious. It felt like my whole body was shaking and laughing.


It’s fantastic new show on TV right now. It's smart and funny and about people who connect to form a strong and beautiful family, despite differing ages, sexual orientations, personalities, and cultures. Plus, a great performance from all cast. I love this show very, very much and I think you’ll love it too.

Phew, I feel 10 years younger already.

2 comments:

ZaCk said...

No wonder there is no wording on ur cake kan on that nite..heheh.. sooo plain.. heheh.. anyway, its delicious..(Lie!!) :)

ukanera arenaku said...

Mus: Glad to be around to celebrate your anniversary. I so gonna look for Modern Family DVDs! Best ke?

Zack: delicious lah! hehehe.