Wednesday, December 5, 2007

He Who Hates Plastic Bags

I was on leave on Monday, a forced one. I still have 14 days to be taken and my boss has been actually pestering (threatening) me to clear all those leave before year end. And boy, was I bored out of my skull

Then like the rain unto the sea, the savior came in a shape of a friend. Awie called and asked whether I was free for a picnic at Sungai Gabai with few of his friends. (Actually only two of them)

Well, I hate to disappoint my friends, and since I was all up for some spontaneous Monday action, I guess I was kinda doing him a favor and said yes.

“You want me to bring anything?”

“Nah, just your sunny disposition and be nice”

“What if I got stumbled in the drain once again, and suddenly in no mood for being nice?”

“In that case just bring some magazines and newspapers, will ya”



I have always drawn to waterfalls. I think they are powerful, mysterious but majestic all at the same time, so I was exited about the whole trip. It has been awhile I have been, like to anywhere, so this was a real treat for me.




“…..and another thing, if you insisted on bringing anything, lay off the plastic bag ok?

Huh?

“Discarded plastics bags litter our cities, kill wildlife, block drains and hang around for decades”

HUH? Is he for real?

Maybe because he just knew me but take a look in my kitchen and he’ll find a dirty environmental secret. Lurking under the sink is a strangely inexhaustible stash of plastic bags - hundreds of them. Suddenly, I feel like a super villain in the environmentalist movie.

Maybe I should be thinking about adopting a dolphin from the World Wildlife Fund and a lemur from my local zoo. Or maybe not

Don’t tell Awie I told you this.

2 comments:

Hafez Zahruddin said...

I'm an environmentalist too. I hate plastic bags. That's why burn them all.
:-)

ukanera arenaku said...

what?

u should recycle those plastic bags, not burn them all. And try to bring a few in ur car and don't ask for more plastic bags on our shopping outing.

bad, bad, bad!