Thursday, December 20, 2007

Reasons To Be Merry/The Lovely Bones

I have reasons to be excited today. Yes, yes, of course it's Hari Raya Aidiladha and I am blissfully on my 5 days leave.

So what would I do with all those free times? Surfing the net of course, and what did I find on the O-so great fountain of know-what?

Well if you must know, I googled the most anticipating movie of all times (At least in 'my times!') is well underway. The movie expected to premier on 13th March 2009, so mark your calendar, guys!

Now, I shall embark on book-reading mission, which I rarely do. I am soo gonna get the book soon and get it finished before the premier. Looks like at least I have another year to accomplish that.

I know I can just link this to my link box but it doesn't feel right. My gut says you won't probably read it. You see, it's important for you guys to see why I lost my mind and go completely ga - ga over this. So here it is.. (Don't cheat!)




When we first meet Susie Salmon, she is already in heaven. As she looks down from this strange new place, she tells us, in the fresh and spirited voice of a fourteen-year-old girl, a tale that is both haunting and full of hope.

In the weeks following her death, Susie watches life on Earth continuing without her-her school friends trading rumors about her disappearance, her family holding out hope that she'll be found, her killer trying to cover his tracks. As months pass without leads, Susie sees her parents' marriage being contorted by loss, her sister hardening herself in an effort to stay strong, and her little brother trying to grasp the meaning of the word gone.

And she explores the place called heaven. It looks a lot like her school playground, with the good kind of swing sets. There are counselors to help newcomers adjust and friends to room with. Everything she ever wanted appears as soon as she thinks of it-except the thing she most wants: to be back with the people she loved on Earth.

With compassion, longing, and a growing understanding, Susie sees her loved ones pass through grief and begin to mend. Her father embarks on a risky quest to ensnare her killer. Her sister undertakes a feat of remarkable daring. And the boy Susie cared for moves on, only to find himself at the center of a miraculous event.

The Lovely Bones is luminous and astonishing, a novel that builds out of grief the most hopeful of stories. In the hands of a brilliant new writer, this story of the worst thing a family can face is transformed into a suspenseful and even funny novel about love, memory, joy, heaven, and healing.

-Taken from Amazon's book summary of "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold

..and if you don't get teary eyes and get as exited as I do, I don't know what will. You are probably damned heartless Robot who feeds on other people sufferings!

And just in case you wonder what's with all the hoopla....yes, PETER JACKSON on the helm.

3 comments:

ukanera arenaku said...

aiyo... jac failed us twice! sedih...

Mus The Great said...

But she did her best and i am proud of her!

ukanera arenaku said...

which obviously not good enough. especially her awful (well awful is kind of harsh) rendition of Gemilang. She has the advantage of great 1st english song performance, plus a language that is understandable to singaporeans and indonesians, but she just blowed it. her singing was chopping and lack of feeling. her best still during the finale of Malaysian Idol.