Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Unwind

I love my job – a little too much I guess. Up until last Friday, I still have about 20 days of annual leave to be cleared off - an achievement of some sort if you considered my murky past employment records.

So my boss was up on her toes, she suggested the obvious:

Mus, have all your leaves cleared before October, or you’ll disturb the entire cosmic balance!” (or something to that effect)

I was about to let it slip when I realized, “Hey! I still have a lot of annual leaves, so what in blazes am I still doing here?” I needed my break. I needed a rest. I’ve been working my ass off all these months and I seriously needed to ‘recharge’. The sign? Lately I have been in a bizarre mental space - I get irritated easily I could spit bullets.

It’s high time for me to get the balance. It’s called, wait for it, cosmic balance (sorry, can’t help it)

So how do I pick the week when to go? I have my own rules, some kind of ritual I have been following since the beginning of my working life - I look for these signs:

1. Public holiday. I can get my much-needed, longer, peaceful break at home knowing that nobody from office could ever call me.


31 August. Yeap, it’s Merdeka Day! It’s our nation’s 51th birthday and since it was on Sunday, so we got the Monday off (Yippe!). I don’t have any (new) wish for this year celebration. Having been kept disappointed for several years already, my wish remains the same – and I believe I speak for every Malaysian – stability, equality and trust.

2. It's Ramadan


It’s that time of the year again – the joy of giving, self-discovery and humility. Though the words “Mus”, “generous” and “unselfishness” don’t often find themselves locked together in the same sentence, but this year I vow to be a better Muslim, if not a better son, a better brother or a better friend. I dedicated the entire first week of Ramadan to observe religiously the true meaning of Ramadan. Sumpah!

3. Someone’s birthday.


Gosh it’s sure weird when it’s MINE. If there’s anyone should ever remind me on my own birthday is me. And only me! That’s why this year I try to be discreet about it. Try to get away from people who tend to have the stupidest idea that birthdays need to be celebrated aloud and with lots of surprises.

I hate surprises. So I guess the best way to remind that I am an ancient fossil is by crawling on my bed with my Kiki and Lulu. Age is only numbers, so I was told, but it's also the sign of maturity. Sigh!

And O just in case you are wondering, yeap, it’s 3 September.

4. Because my mother says so!

Well, How could you say No. How could you even begin to argue with the woman who gave you birth. If she says ‘come home’, you go and pack your bag right away. No argument. Being a good, mama’s boy, that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Yes, I am on my weeklong leave since last Saturday and I still have another 5 days to go - to do absolutely nothing. I am gonna savour every single minute of it. No worries, no care in the world as if the clocks are completely stop ticking and nothing can bothers me at all.

So what am I doing right now? Picture me on a beach, sipping my non-achoholic drink, staring gleefully on the open water, wearing absolutely nothing. Pretty much sum up how I feel right now, liberating and naked. Now if you are offended by the notion of me in nude, please go check your meds. I am so not in the mood of caring.

See if I care next week.

7 comments:

ukanera arenaku said...

a few more hours to Sept 3 (British Summer Time), but don't think can stay up any longer. need to sleep early so that i could wake up at 4 for my sahur.

happy birthday, mus. all the best in ur undertakings. may Allah bless u with more rahmat, berkat and joy. aamin.

Mus The Great said...

thanks miron for the birthday wish...nanti balik malaysia kita buka sama

Manifestation of Life said...

Quoting you: "So what am I doing right now? Picture me on a beach, sipping my non-achoholic drink, staring gleefully on the open water, wearing absolutely nothing. Pretty much sum up how I feel right now, liberating and naked. Now if you are offended by the notion of me in nude, please go check your meds. I am so not in the mood of caring."
My quote: "Mus, sipping your drink and naked and all?! Tak puasa ker woi?! Mus, istighfar Mus, bulan Ramadhan yang mulia nie, bawak2 mengucap Mus!"

Anonymous said...

Ini hari birthday Mus ke, Abang wish you a very very happy birthday, Abang doakan semoga apa yang Mus hajati terkabul and more good years ahead

Life's Like That said...

hepi bird-day, mus the great.. hehehe..

looka80 said...

mus - tak ckp pun smlm masa online? huhu. happy birthday mate. moga panjang umur dan murah rejeki. hv a good one this year taw.

Mus The Great said...

herman,

haiyooo, metaphor-aly speaking lah!

Abg Rosli, JM and Sham,

Thank you so much for the wishes. i really appreciate it.