Sunday, September 23, 2007

Getting To Know You

My friends never ceased to surprise me. Everyday I learn one or two new things about them. Exiting new things. It gives me a new fresh perspective on our friendship and I have always ended up like a big-eyed little boy.

Come on, how could I ever knew that Hafez do paint or Reena isn’t a materialistic (!) type? (she said she wanted to become a businesswoman) or Zack has other moniker other than Reena’s weekend boyfriend? (Call me and I spill).

This is the best part of making new friends - you get to be fascinated about what and who they really are – good, shocking and some you might not even like it.

Along the way, you’ll learn bit by bit, layer by layer, which exactly what we did on our recently concluded weekend.

It started innocently enough. We talked about nothing and it got deeper.



I learned Zack knows a lot about cars.


I learned Hafez can cook, a painter, like to teach and write poems



I learned Azrill likes poetry.

We learned things about others we never thought we knew, or at least I didn't. We learned and shared our inner thoughts, dreams, ambitions, aspirations and even secrets. To open up, share and listen is a long, painful process throughout the period in friendship but I believe it’s healthy and you’ll find it rewarding.
Your friends are for you to discover in order for you to rediscover yourself. That’s why I have always welcomed Get-Together or Talk-Over sessions and I have always tried to make myself available to listen for my friends.

I have learned from my past experiences - never be too sure that you know your friends well even if you have known them for more 20 years. It’s a known fact that people always capable of surprises. And when they do, you’ll find yourself push to the corner as though don’t even know them at all that to start over would be impossible.

So instead of punishing ourselves for failing to be a good friend, what do we do? We lighten up.

Anyone into musical? How about this one from Rodgers & Hammersteins' much-acclaimed ‘The King And I’? Think you know this one?

Getting to know you, getting to know all about you,
Getting to like you, getting to hope you like me,
Haven’t you noticed, suddenly I am bright and breezy,
Because of all the beautiful and new,
Things I am learning about you,
Day by day.

Guess no poem after all huh? Sorry Azrill

No comments: