Wednesday, September 5, 2007

What About Love?

Lunch the other day.Vicious gossip with a male colleague.

We were discussing mutual friends from office, a couple. He knew the husband, I barely knew the wife. I’d never met the husband, but I have seen the wife occasionally in the elevator, but as usual, we knew everything about the situation.

“It’s going to end badly,” I said. The husband is 25-year old lowly clerk and the wife is 45-year old Senior Manager. He was a country mouse. He came in from a small town in east coast while she’s a big town girl with high-flying portfolio. He didn’t know anything about her and the next thing you know they gotten married.

I attacked my fried chicken, warming up to the subject

“No one was invited to the wedding except maybe a couple of friends from the wife’s office. It was a really small, family-only, hush hush reception”

Nobody knows for sure what really happened. How they met or what brought them together.

The wife might know there’s nothing’s ever going to really happen with her career and so she needed a trophy husband, or may be she really did want kids.

She’s not even that attractive”. He scoffed, almost in envious tone.

I’d say he got into this for the money”.

The other guy at the table, a corporate, doting-dad type was looking at us in horror.” But what about love?” he asked.

I looked at him pityingly. “ I don’t think so.”

1 comment:

AJ said...

Takde sambungan ker????