Sunday, November 18, 2007

Life By A Catalogue

I was at IKEA last Saturday night, but that’s not the interesting bit. (For some mysterious cosmic intervention, I didn’t make a completely fool of myself in front of anybody nor did they close the whole store for my monthly shopping spree). In fact, this post is about a dream – a dream that comes in a catalogue.




* Flipping through the catalogue often made me wonder, “When will ever they let anyone stays in their showroom?”

Any other guy would give their arms to get that cute pendant lamp, just to light up their barnyard; some might even sold their own mother to get that limited now-RM55-last-year-RM66 laundry bag with stand.

But dreamers like me would be more than happy just to get hold of its latest issue catalogue. (Tear jerker alert! This is going to be a very sad, heart tugging story)

Hang on! I did buy something from IKEA store before, thankyouverymuch! - RM6.90 door mat and let's not forgetting I had my dinner once there (RM2 Swedish Hotdog and assorted of other Exit Café’s product - RM1 Swedish Ice cream and Swedish curry puff) so please save your sympathy.

So why haven’t I moved on from that RM6.90, 2 year-old door mat?

a) The design doesn’t fit with my celebrity lifestyle?
b) I happened to be a spokesperson for Perabot Cempaka?
c) My runaway maid used to be Swedish?
d) The classic, “They are so expensive, I don’t need them”?
e) I can’t even assemble Legos and now you’re saying “furniture?”

O Please, anyone who knows me knows the answer;

d) The classic “They are so expensive, I don’t need them” – Hardly a surprise.

Even if I can find a very nice bowl that I can afford (which means after a huge discount) I’d still be hesitated. I don’t want any brand determines who I am - I can get a much cheaper bowl elsewhere. But of course then I would be sitting in my non-IKEA room banging my head on the wall all day, muttering, “stupid, stupid.”

Then why travel across the country? Well, duh, for the Swedish curry puff and the new catalogue.

a) The catalogue has a complete picture of my dream home. It inspires me to work harder now so that I can get my own place soon and re-design it any way I want - loaded with IKEA stuff, of course. That shiny pictorial mag also works wonder for my determination and does more for my motivation to succeed - so much more than buying a trinket for your TV top.

b) I sleep better at night with the catalogue in my arms and sometimes when I fantasized about something or someone it usually took place in IKEA showroom – just like in the catalogue (minus the price tag).

c) At the end, I’d be happily stack up the issue along with other issues in the living room – just to remind me I have another un-finished dream in hand. Living room is also a perfect place for a catalogue like that cause it gives a false impression to my guest that ‘I am thinking of buying something I just don’t have time’. They might also sense something eerily scream IKEA in my living room and the best part is they wouldn't know it comes with 'complimentary' tag.

See, so the trip wasn’t really a complete waste of time. At least I didn’t go home empty handed. I brought home 2008 catalogue…and some dignity.

2 comments:

ukanera arenaku said...

They have even a better collection here in Manchester than the one we have in KL!!!

Zetty said...

hahahah...siap masuk perabot cempaka tu LOL!