Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What Makes A Man

Beyonce cancelled her show in KL because she refused to ‘cover up’. Big deal. I cancelled my dinner plan last night cause the waitress refused to take my order without a shirt on. But let’s not go there.

OK before I say something contradict, let me be clear that I am no Ms Knowles’ fan. Never was, never will (We’re not discussing that now). And I am definitely not jumping into her defense about this whole Beyonce’s fan VS Malaysian authority thing but I say I totally understand her decision. Oops did I say that out loud? I meant to say I have sort of seen this coming.

There’s a reason why she’s propagating ‘bootylicious’ image and No, it’s nothing to do with food. It’s a concept of worshipping of a woman body, curves and all, and of course skimpy clothes come in a package. I guess she feels that she wouldn’t be able to live up to the pesona she molded (and get wealthy while at it) and disappoint her fan, had she adhered the rules.

In this world we live in now, clothes make a man not the other way around. It’s no longer about covering your private parts and your worst assets. It’s a statement people make to other people on what they believe in, be it ‘I am a secure and confident business woman’ or ‘ look away or I smash your face’

And you know what? Everyday I pick my clothes to work - not from Mom or a girlfriend and I am very proud of the clothes I own and the choices I make. I am probably not the best person to talk about clothes or even moral values, but I sincerely think you should be free to wear what you want because you are entitled to choices you make in your life.

We always make such a big fuss over a piece of clothes (or lack of it) and forget that there’s more to the story than meets the eyes. Does ‘Linda Onn’ ring a bell to you? (Unless if you’ve been living under a rock). I bet she’ll go kissy kissy with Beyonce now.

People don’t like to be told what he/she should wear. I don’t like people tell me what to wear. Period.

Now I wonder if Ms Bootylicious would wear this if she's allowed here.



Wait! Shoulders are NO NO, but that would be a sight!

post script: When I saw Beyonce on the cover after having lost 20lbs., I couldn’t help but wonder, “What is she gonna do with her “old” hot body?” it would be great if she could pass it on to me!”

3 comments:

Wadi: said...

Hey there,

I hope Whitney could make it despite of Beyonce's inability to abide with pretty-much-provocative--sensitive-and-controversial-yet-one-sided guideline. But our High Society dinner's attire and the snapshot events in the acclaimed Magazine of Malaysian Tatler are even sexier than Beyonce'.


Cheers

Mus The Great said...

OMG!!!....I JUST LOVE WHITNEY!!!...

ukanera arenaku said...

But regarding Linda Onn issue, I think it's a different issue. She's on paid assignment which means she was working for someone/organisation. either she do it or quit.