Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Idiot Box



I was madly in love with Susan the same time I found myself attracted to Lynette. Still, I tangled with Edie, Bree and Gabrielle. And then came along Betty. And so how it ended? Lived happily ever after? Not.

Sounds like I have taken a cue from a bad episode of Venezuelan soap opera or that I am suffering from acute case of schizophrenia.

Or am I in deep denial of self-acceptance?

For those of you who’ve been living under a giant boulder or who just migrated from a far far away planet from outer stars, those are the names of main characters from the two of my most favorite dramedy ever shown on TV. And if you are still inside the dark hole of total ignorance, I was referring to TV series, Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives, you tuna head.

For the benefits of boulder dwellers, space aliens and tuna heads I mentioned above, I was kind enough to link the main website of the series with this page. So kindly click on the links below, under the head ‘the obsessions’ to know more about the series and see why I put them under my ‘obsessions’ list.

Anyway, last night I watched the two series back to back as they ended their seasons in a bittersweet-yet-outrageously-scandalous fashion (as they always did). I slumped on my bed afterward thinking how the hell am I going fill up the void after this. After 23 weeks and 46 hours of pure joy and blissful make-believe, it just dawned to me my only laugh on weekdays nights has been robbed unceremoniously.

‘Betty’ and ‘Wives’ are like, the closest thing for me to the world of escapism. The series make me feel OK to dream sometime without stepping away too far from reality like Hindi movies tend to cross. They provide antidote of the disappointments I faced every week.

Also, I think I was kinda drawn to the characters because I could easily draw the similarities with mine: kind hearted but flaws, clumsy but lovable and naïve yet capable of surprises. Though, someone told me they tend to be over the top, but that’s just good TV and how you can blame that. In fact I found it profoundly enlighten sometime I see them as my own little window of happiness.

Another thing I learned, the word ‘dramedy’ itself was coined from two words - drama and comedy – literally means drama in comedy or comedy in drama (depends on how you see it). I personally subscribe it. I love to believe that in life, if you look hard enough, you can find comedy in dramas. And that’s kind of life I want.

Till I’d be able to see that, I am gonna miss my ladies.

No comments: