Monday, July 30, 2007

Weekend of Sardine

Most asked question on Monday morning, (it’s almost a sacred ritual to some):

‘How was your weekend?’

A customary answer would follow after that:

‘It was great*, how about yours’?

*Option; you can go into details of the event given the person you ask the question shows the slightest interest.

So really, how was mine? Do tell.

Friday night I bumped into Zack and his friends by ‘accident’ and ended up at Pelita Restaurant ‘catching up’ until 5 in the morning. The greatest mystery that night probably ‘What in the world was I doing at Jalan P. Ramlee on Friday’s night with my nightie - alone?’ That’s for you to find out. Anyway it was the best instantaneous moment ever for me in the longest time. I met new friends and had a great conversation. Here are some of the photos as proof for non-believers.


KIKC at best!


Zack's being ignored.

Zack is glad that finally somebody laugh at his joke!


Zack gave a spot on 'sardine's face'!
Speaking about 'sardine', Zack really did provide an inspiration for my next activities.

The rest of the weekend: I ventured into my own little adventures and made my own sardine sandwich – repeat, on my own.



Sardines are a delicious, nutritious way to achieve the goal of good health, and slowing down the aging process. They are rich sources of protein, minerals, vitamin D and cholesterol-reducing omega-3 fatty acids, and nucleic acids. (Courtesy Wikipedia)

Since I am not planning to open my own sandwich deli anytime soon, so here’s the recipe of the ‘Anti-Aging Sandwich’. (I take no responsibility should this recipe shows a reverse effect or leads you to enjoy too much sardines!)

Anti-Aging Sardine Sandwich a.k.a Sandwich Anti-Penuaan
This Scandinavian-inspired spread comes courtesy of my housemate, who offers this tip: This spread is delicious on dense, thin-sliced (sandwich size) bread or whole grain crackers.

Like this.



Ingredients: (serves 1 or 2)
1 canned of sardine (preferably Italian brand)
100 gram sliced onion
1 tsp shredded red chilies
50 gram sliced cucumber
4 slices of bread (sandwich size)
Dash of lemon

Method of preparation:
1. Open the canned sardine and mash them with a fork in a bowl until slightly chunky but smooth.

Like this.



2. Add and mix the sliced onion, shredded red chilies, and sliced cucumber and sprinkle with dash of lemon.

Like this.



2. Spread evenly over the top of the bread or eat it open face.
Voila!


Bon Appetit!



Chef Notes:
You will know Paradise when you have finished this. This was a staple at my house as a kid when I rejected it totally and now loves it. Now that I got to share this enticing entrée with my friends, the feeling is just wonderful.



What a great weekend it was!

So how was your weekend?

See if I care.

No comments: