Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Barely There

I had lunch with a female friend yesterday. I ordered ‘rojak buah’ while she was having a full plate of mixed rice. She asked me whether that would do.

“I could eat a plate of mixed rice if I want to,” I said, “but I won’t. I feel so guilty afterward.”

“Aaa…you’re on diet.”

I care about the way I look. “ I go back and forth between two mirrors in my apartment like I am going to look different in each one. It’s like, yeah, I look good in this mirror, let me see if I look as good in the other. Doesn’t everyone do that?”

My friend stared at me and nodded and made encouraging noises. But she wasn’t really paying attention.

“Sometimes I get so distracted.” She said.

“Why is that?”

“Your hair.”

“My hair? Thanks a lot. I hate my hair.”

“No. I like your hair like that. It makes you look…..less bald.”

We both cracked up.

Luckily there was no fork within my reach.


Sigh. My sexy lips – that’s all I can go by now.

No comments: