Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Lonely And His Muses

“ Mus, did you die? Are you dead? You must be dead because you’re not updating your blog.”

Get a newspaper for Pete’s sake!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you usually write when you’re angry?

Sometimes. But I write when I am happy too. I’ll tell you the easiest time to write: when you’re lonely.

Are you often lonely?

Interestingly enough, I’ve led a pretty lonely life.

So the fringe benefit of being lonely is good writing?

Yeah. The muses visit when I am lonely.

But you’ve never short of friends.

Yeah, it seemed like it but I still do feel lonely sometimes.

Why?

You can have 100 of friends at one time and still feel lonely. When the party's over, that's the time you know for sure. Being lonely isn't really a bad thing. It gives us a break from it all: to recuperate and to reflect. Most of the time I chose to be lonely but they know I’ll come around.

To recuperate and to reflect?

Any interaction or encounter I had with my friends I would treasure, regardless how trivial or stupid the conversation was. Interestingly enough, most of these ‘discoveries’ usually provide me a refreshing new look on my own life and this is the kind of stuff that I like to write.

But not all people appreciate that. Some stuff is considered personal. Aren’t you afraid of backlash?

Am I? I thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But there are times when I truly risk something or may have crossed the line. I stop.

How do you know when to stop then?

By being very observant and using my instinct.

Sounds like your friends were actually your muses.

Absolutely!

No comments: