Saturday, August 25, 2007

Beauty's Skin Deep

Your colleagues made cruel remarks about you. Your date failed to turn up (yet again!). Looking to the mirror is a torture business every morning that you’d rather be stoned dead.

Life’s full of stress and heartbreaks. And that’s not counting the feeling of getting old everyday and still unmarried. So what can you do?

You can take a leaf out of Ginger’s book.



“The hell with everyone!”

Ginger is a friend of mine, a professional who works miles away from home. She works with a giant conglomerate in automotive industry in northern part of the country. I have known her since my college days and like many friends I’ve known, she’s got a spitfire-acid tongue personality that makes even Simon Cowell blushes. (God have mercy on us!)

Ginger is quite an attractive woman, to say the least but I think she cares a little too much about her looks that to say ‘vain’ would be such underrated, unfavorable word. But I figured it wasn’t really a bad thing.

Years that I have known her before, she used to had a big, giant self-esteem issue.

But I wouldn’t blame her.

For the longest times, she has this ‘bushy’ issue that won’t go away. You know, those unwanted hairs in certain places in her body that grow a little bit longer than necessary. You get the idea.

But she’s simply refused to back down and wallow in self-pity. She took her shortcoming with stride and became more confident than ever. She’s completely clear and independent on her direction, feelings and decision and not easily being led. And now, she’s very much comfortable in her own skin and has emerged as a confident and sophisticated middle-age woman she is inspired to be.

I was once attended to one of the beauty contest that she happened to win. She was asked by the jury ‘what beauty means to her’ and in an act of self-delusion she gave an elaborate, passionate speech about ‘beauty’s skin deep’ crap that for a few seconds the hall was awed in silence. I was on tears! ( Though I didn’t believe she meant it)

From that moment on I realized she has achieved much on what she wanted to achieve and I couldn’t help but to cheer her on.

She’s an old friend of mine with considerable number of my dark, embarrassing secrets. She’s also a woman who wants to look and feel her best. In both roles, she awarded Mus’
"Most beautiful people that need shaving”

Now, anytime you feel down and out and ugly: remember what Ginger said.

“There are uglier people out there, they just haven’t come out from your mirror”

4 comments:

ukanera arenaku said...

You know what, I cried after reading this posting! 2 reasons - it's inspiring, (both from u and from Ginger) and the background music (I was listening to Dingin by Ziana Zain). Oh, God... I hate myself when I cried!

Mus The Great said...

best ker lagu baras ZZ tu?...anyway Din told me lagu baras Anuar zain "aku lelaki" best!

Anonymous said...

Aiyooo... meletops entry nih. Iols rasa kalau Ginger baca mesti dia nangis (BTW Ginger masih bercuti)...

SR

Anonymous said...

haha macam hanjeng tau entry! mek suka sundels... anyway thanks for carut dlm pujian... or is it puji dlm carutan? matilakau haha...

aiyoo SR sempat nih komen! hg suka la noh kalu org carut mek? i think SR & MUS can be very close friends, sbb both of u have a very witty style of writing! mek suka baca! mek dinch witty tau! mek baik haha...